Monday, May 2, 2011

A Look Back At That Corny Fuel

With gas prices going up and looking like they won't be going down really anytime soon, a lot of people's wallets are going to be hit pretty hard at the gas pumps around the nation. In previous posts I have talked about a couple of remedies to high oil prices: electric cars and ethanol-mixed fuel.

I recently found this article that gives the ethanol outlook report regarding ethanol. The report involves findings from the International Energy Agency that say biofuels will provide 27% of fuel sources by 2050, up from the 2% it is currently. They attribute this increase to the reason that the current trends in energy supply are unsustainable, so other forms will be utilized in the future to meet the energy demands. They also address the food vs. fuel issue, by saying that they support the use of using food crop waste and cellulosic and algae biofuels instead of corn.

The one part of this article that I found the most interesting was the price difference between gasoline and ethanol, which is at $1.20 when the government tax credit is included. With such a discount, demand for ethanol will most likely increase. I mean I would go for it if I could save around $10 at the pump each time I filled up.

I found this video about ethanol production from Modern Marvels that I liked a lot. It seems a little pro ethanol skewed, but it is still very informational and a good watch.

2 comments:

  1. I hope this is right! It would be great to see biofuels responsibly developed and implemented. A cynical argument might be that it will be hard to displace corn because farmers need and want those subsidies and are a powerful lobby. But perhaps these political challenges can be overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethanol might be a nice supplement for fossil fuels but if our countries corn is going towards that what are we going to do for the supply of corn based food?

    Nice video...very discriptive.

    ReplyDelete